Thursday, June 12, 2014

New Mexico Adventures!

Hello friends, strangers, and people who have nothing better to do with their time! So I don't know much about blogging but I was clicking around earlier and it turns out you can see where your audience is from. I'm excited to say that my blog is international! Many thanks to the one person in India who read my blog (or at least clicked on my webpage...). I'll try to remember you all when I'm famous (but don't count on it).

So I'm in New Mexico for the summer! It's basically a shit hole except for the mountains which are FREAKING AMAZING. But the altitude can be brutal. I'm living at like 6,400 feet (which is higher than the tallest mountain in Virginia...) but I'd like to think I'm adapting (hurray for shitty air!). Now I'm not as lucky as some people, who are just camping and running and adventuring all summer (cough cough), I have a job. But you better believe in all my free time I'm off exploring mountain trails!

After serious calculations it has been determined that I have a 72% chance of death out here. Polls will be opening so you can choose how you think I'll die. Option 1: dehydration. Option 2: trying to train a mountain lion to run with me and then being eaten by it. (Option 3 is too gruesome to write). Option 4: getting lost in a mountain alone at night with a broken headlamp and no map, breaking my leg, and falling of the side of a cliff. Option 5: Gang fight.

So I'm probably the least prepared ultrarunner ever (although I do run with water now, so I'm getting better). I just drive down the road until I see a trail or cool mountain and then hope for the best. 100% success rate so far! (Although I tend to break into unauthorized backcountry or trespass on ski resort property or run on mountain bike trails or climb radio towers... You get the idea. Basically I suck at following the rules.) I also usually go alone. You may be surprised, but it's hard to find people who wanna do 20+ miles in the mountains for some reason. But that's okay because I love love love adventuring alone, it's my favorite thing ever.

That's about all I have to say right now. I'm doing a 50k next Saturday so that'll be exciting! My injuries are getting better ish so things might actually go well! Maybe. At least it'll be fun. The internet is being kinda suckish but I'll try to upload some pictures so you can live vicariously through me (if that's something you wanna do). Oh and my tan lines are getting pretty intense, try not to be jealous, but I'm rocking a backpack and knee brace tan (along with the typical watch, sock, shorts, and sports bra tan). I mean, it's pretty attractive so I'll leave it at that. Enjoy your summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment